It’s quite common in today’s world to look for great products for great prices. And why not? We all love a good deal. But can good deals apply to the app development world? Or is it just like that saying? “You get what you pay for.” With onshore talent becoming harder to find, hourly rates have begun to skyrocket causing companies to look elsewhere for resources. And it makes sense. But if not onshore, then where? Let’s jump in and see another option that nearshore app development may have to offer.
In the long run, outsourcing is another form of trade that benefits the U.S. economy by giving us cheaper ways to do things. – Janet Yellen
Nearshore App Development Needs
Depending on what your needs are, outsourcing could be considered a win-win for all parties involved. With cons like onshore prices and offshore cultural barriers, nearshore app development can present itself to be a happy medium.
Again, this all depends on what you’ve identified your needs are. Does your project require face-to-face meetings? Higher effective costs? Or maybe you’re looking for a specific skillset? Regardless of which shore you feel is right for you, there are many factors that come into play at the end of the day. Considering all these questions before your search will be key in your success.
So where do you start? And how do you know if it’s right for you? Here are a few thoughts to consider when deciding if nearshore app development is right for your app.
- Cost: Typically, available budget is the most important factor when deciding what options are actually feasible. Although it should never be the only decision-making factor, there is no denying its influence in any successful business endeavor all the same.
- Language: This aspect depends on how intricate you expect your project to be. If your project is on the simple side, you could potentially have more options here. However, if your project is more complex, you may want to consider working with developers you can easily converse with. Explaining details and holding meetings/phone calls would be difficult with a language barrier in place.
- Culture: Similar to language barriers, cultural barriers can quickly point a project in the wrong direction. Make sure that work expectations are not just assumed, but addressed.
- Skillset: The expertise required is also a key player when it comes to the decision-making process. The project’s complexity will point out the skillset needed here. Once identified, you can begin to look for the specific talent needed to complete the project successfully.
- Location: Take into consideration if face-to-face meetings will be a needed aspect of your project. If so, you’ll want to factor in how often travel will be required and how much those travel expenses will affect your budget. Also, be sure to take note if a nearshore or offshore company has an office in the U.S. This can help offset travel costs immensely.
So now that we have your wheels turning, lets jump into some nearshore pros.
Nearshore App Development Pros
- Data Protection Laws: Unlike many offshore countries where protection laws are limited, nearshore Data Protection Laws tend to be similar to the onshore space. This should be the top, if not first qualifier on your checklist. Why work so hard for a project only to have it stolen right from your finger tips?
- Bilingual Edge: Although, Spanish is the native language in most nearshore countries, English is quite commonly spoken amongst those in the technical field. And with Spanish being the second most spoken language in the U.S., it probably wouldn’t hurt to have Spanish speakers on your team. Especially if you are trying to create an app that can target a broader market.
- Similar Culture: If you decide that outsourcing is an option for you, be sure to look at the cultural differences of nearshore and offshore. Central and South American countries have their differences, but can be more similar to North America than you may think.
- Same Time Zones: This can be crucial when planning conference calls and weekly updates. Same time zones easily allow for day-to-day communication, ensuring productivity and high-quality, cost-efficient development.
- Lower Travel Costs: In some cases, you may find that a nearshore company has an office and/or offices state-side, making travel that much easier. And if not, traveling nearshore would still be much less than traveling to a team across the world.
- Growing Talent: Latin America has recently been coined as “the upcoming Silicon Valley” due to the high-level educators and investors that have been making their move south of the boarder. With a name like that, you can imagine the potential nearshore may have to offer your business.
In closing, we understand that choosing an app development company can be frustrating. Especially if it’s your first time having to do so. The truth is, not all apps are successful; however, don’t worry. That’s why we are here to help.
Still have questions? Contact us. We would love to walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Squareball Studios (SBS), enables creatives, startups, and Fortune 500s to realize their vision through strategy, design, development, and growth.
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by Jessica Sobel